Monday, June 11, 2007

What we're reading: Coralina Daly

Assistant Librarian/Coordinator of Testing Services Cory Daly is currently reading Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs, and listening to The Johnstown Flood, by David McCullough.







Update 6.22.07:

I finished them! Running with Scissors was very well-written, but tough to get through because the subject matter was pretty raw. I handled it a couple of chapters at a time. It was funny, but thoughtful and dark at the same time. I'm very curious how the lawsuit filed by the family portrayed in the book will turn out.

The Johnstown Flood was amazingly detailed. I really enjoyed how character-driven McCullough was able to make his narrative and there were many times I found myself thinking of Hurricane Katrina and 9/11, both of which happened decades after this was written. Tragedy is timeless.

No comments: