Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cory's December Staff Pick


The End of Overeating
by David Kessler
QP 141 .E467 2009

What a revealing book! I read it a year ago and still quote it regularly. Can you believe rats will knowingly give their lives to eat when the proper combination of fat, salt and sugar. The combination overrides the brains ability to convince you that you're full and should stop eating. Think about it. All your favorite foods layer these in spades!

The author is a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration. In an interview, he discussed his reason for researching this topic:

"I wanted to figure out what was going on, and the book was written to help people who don't understand why they have such a hard time overeating. My family doctor said to me, "You're describing me. No one explained to me why I keep on eating."

No comments: